Respond to the following discussion question. To earn full credit, post a response of 150 words that includes at least 1 APA citation and the associated reference:
Today’s organizations are flatter and offer fewer opportunities for advancement. How do you think careers should be developed in this type of organizational environment? Why would this offer a firm a competitive advantage.
In your journals in this class, you will be applying what you are learning about to your personal learning and career development. Your journal post should be 150 words long. For this unit:
Consider your use of social media and your career development. How separate are these two activities? Identify ways you could utilize social media for your development and for your enhancement.
Write a 4-5 page paper in APA format (not including the cover page and reference page) that responds to the prompts below the scenario.
Scenario. As discussed in the Manager’s Notebook, “Competencies in a Global Workplace,” competencies can come from a variety of sources, including the job, the strategic direction of the organization, and the global nature of the business. Whatever the source, once competencies are identified, they typically become the key aspects measured in a performance appraisal system. For example, a competency for a salesperson’s job would likely include customer service. The formal performance appraisal for this job might then include a customer service dimension and include, for example, behavioral standards, such as “salesperson greets customer” and “salesperson helps resolve customer complaints,” on which salespeople are evaluated. In short, competencies become the criteria by which performance is measured.
Competencies should reflect what workers do on the job. For example, a job might include dealing with customers, putting together customer products, and expediting orders. Competencies associated with this type of job might include interpersonal skills, negotiation ability, problem solving, and organization skills. These competencies could then be illustrated and measured with observable reflections of these competencies, such as behaviors.
Competencies can reflect more than the core tasks that make up a job. As presented in the Manager’s Notebook, “Competencies in a Global Workplace,” competencies can be based on the strategic direction of an organization. For example, a manufacturing organization might commit to a strategy of customer service in order to have a competitive advantage in its industry. Engaging in customer service isn’t how the company currently operates, and it isn’t reflected in its current manufacturing jobs. However, customer service is a strategic target for the company. If it is going to reach this strategic target, customer service needs to be included as a competency and become part of how jobs are performed in the company.
Competencies can also reflect the global nature of business. The ability to recognize and deal with diverse values and cultures can be critical in today’s global environment. Global businesses routinely confront diversity in culture and language. However, increases in minority and immigrant populations are forcing local organizations to adapt to culturally and linguistically diverse groups. Cultural competency is increasingly being recognized as an important capacity. Cultural competency means that you not only have knowledge of a culture, but that you also have the skills needed to work with that particular ethnic group and the attitude to do so effectively.
Many organizations would benefit from improvements in their cultural competency. Teamwork and productivity suffer if a diverse workforce lacks cultural competency. Further, a lack of cultural competency could negatively affect service and sales to customers.
Assignment Goal. Write a cohesive essay that responds to the prompts below.
1. Is there a distinction between diversity and cultural competency, or are they the same thing? Explain.
2. Of the three sources of competencies discussed—job, strategy, and global factors—what is their relative importance? That is, how would you weigh each of the three categories of competencies? For example, should they all be weighted the same, or should the ability to perform the current tasks take precedence over strategically important competencies or cultural competency?
3. Do you think that cultural competency should be included as a core competency in most businesses? Why or why not
4. Illiterate workers can suffer from embarrassment and fear that keeps them from admitting their problem. Instead, they may cope by asking questions, observing others, and relying on informal assistance from others. If illiterate workers can effectively cope with a work environment, do you think there is still a problem? Explain. How would you go about identifying workers who should receive literacy training?
5. Companies use various tactics to encourage managers to make employee development a top priority. What do you think of the policy of tying financial rewards to people development? What are some other ways companies can hold managers accountable for developing those they supervise?
6. As a manager, what could you do to offer career development for your workers? Do you think it would be worth it? Why or why not?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more