This assignment normally requires for you to visit an original artwork in person.
However, this is no longer a requirement. You may do this same assignment using any work from THE GOOGLE ART PROJECT (Links to an external site.)
For the image requirements for this paper please submit a screen shot (feel free to crop the image) of the artwork you chose from THE GOOGLE ART PROJECT. You can also download an image from another website to illustrate your paper, but please remember to cite the source of the image in your works cited page.
1) Print off these instructions and the Formal Analysis Worksheet before you go.
2) Perform a detailed formal analysis of a single work of art WHILE YOU ARE IN FRONT OF THE WORK.
a) This is an exercise in looking. Therefore, any discussion of the artist’s biography, historical context, or your personal experience will not be counted towards the word count.
b) Your essay should include a discussion of all the elements and principles listed in the Formal Analysis Guide
Actions. Each element and each principle should be addressed using three sentences. You discussion of each element or each element may discuss one example in depth, or several examples. For example, you might use three sentences to discuss the color in a figure’s shirt, or you might identify the artist’s use of color in three different places.
c) To organize your essay, your overall argument and conclusion should address how the artists used the principle of emphasis.
d) Your essay should be 1000-1500 words. Use APA or MLA format.
3) Turn in an image of the artwork with your essay.
4) Not required: Turn in a picture of yourself in front of the artwork or the museum as proof of having visited.
5) Compositional Design. A compositional design is the student’s visual expression of how the elements and principles work in a specific work of art. No two students will ever have the same compositional design on the same painting. For an example of a compositional design for the painting Las Meninas, see 1.10.12c on p. 185 in your textbook. As you can see, a compositional design is not a recreation of the work of art, but instead it shows the relationships between the elements and principles and emphasizes the ones that are most important.
CHOOSING AN ARTWORK: (Please note that you are not required to see an artwork in person.)
For the purposes of this assignment please chose your artwork carefully. No copies or reproductions! In other words, the work must be one of a kind.
It must be a work that is publicly exhibited and the main purpose of the object is to be art.
For this assignment, the work must be a painting, sculpture, or drawing.
Places where works of art can be found:
This EXCLUDES items whose main purpose has some other function – Such as:
If you have concerns about the art you have chosen, send a picture and ask before turning it in.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more