1. In the song “Tonight” from the musical West Side Story, the composer distributed two basic melodies
among different characters to create a kind of _______, in which nothing disappears but new layers are
A. dissonant form
B. layered presence
C. additive form
D. consonant counterpoint
2. The type of music that blended the musical styles of jump blues and honky-tonk was
A. rock ‘n’ roll.
B. hip hop.
3. _______ works are often playful in spirit, a reaction against the unrelenting seriousness of much
4. A modern-day retelling of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet is carried out in the musical
A. My Fair Lady.
B. The Mikado.
C. H.M.S. Pinafore.
D. West Side Story.
5. Which of the following musicals was the first to tackle the issue of racism?
A. Show Boat
B. My Fair Lady
D. South Pacific
6. A musical style that combines traditional and modern elements is called
7. Minimalist techniques have been applied in many different kinds of music, including
C. rock ‘n’ roll.
8. Aaron Copland varies the _______ throughout his movement “Hoe-Down” to create variety.
9. Public Enemy’s abrasive rap recording “Fight the Power” has a basic pulse of _______ beats per minute.
10. The _______ were interested in the hypnotic quality of the repeated melodic fragments and interlocked
patterns created by the gamelan.
11. Which of the following composers wrote the music for West Side Story?
A. Cole Porter
B. George M. Cohan
C. Jerome Kern
D. Leonard Bernstein
12. A chromatic scale consists entirely of
A. whole steps.
B. quarter steps.
C. half steps.
D. tonal centers.
13. Notes that begin a phrase before a downbeat are known as pick-up notes, or a/an
B. shuffle groove.
C. call and response.
D. duck walk.
14. Which composer engaged in scholarly studies that focused on the social dimension of music and the
ways it’s used within and between cultures?
A. John Williams
B. Béla Bartók
C. Leonard Bernstein
D. John Cage
15. Debussy’s Voiles was inspired by a Javanese ensemble known as a
16. On whose show did Elvis Presley make his famous debut?
A. Dick Clark
B. Ed Sullivan
C. Milton Berle
D. Steve Allen
17. Which composer’s work has been likened to Brahms and Dvořák?
A. John Cage
B. Austin Wintory
C. John Williams
D. Philip Glass
18. Which of the following works can be likened to program music?
A. Sonata II
B. Concerto for Orchestra
D. Concertino for Harp and Orchestra
19. What does the word kebyar mean?
20. Which of the following is used in Sonata II’s prepared piano?
A. Small pieces of rubber
B. Copper wire
C. Wooden blocks
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more