MGMT 303 Principles of Management – DeVry
MGMT 303 Week 1 Homework Quiz
- (TCO 1) Rajiv just completed a project in which he restructured sales territories, met with sales representatives to help them set goals, scheduled motivational meetings, and started a program of quarterly performance review for the sales force. His goals are to reduce waste and provide improved customer service. Rajiv is engaged in
- (TCO 1) The purpose of planning and decision making is to
- (TCO 1) Nicole is learning to fly an Army helicopter. She is drawing mainly on her ____ skills.
- (TCO 2) A(n) ____ would come under the heading of the economic element of the general environment.
- (TCO 2) Video teleconferencing impacts the number of business travelers who fly. This is an example of ____ to the airline industry.
- (TCO 2) The culture of an organization is often established by the……..
- (TCO 2) Many organizations now have units that monitor a host of magazines and newspapers looking for stories that may have an impact on the organization. These units are
- (TCO 3) Which of the following is NOT an example of a situation in which a manager is likely to be called on to make an ethical decision regarding the relationship of the firm to the employee?
- (TCO 3) According to the concept of managerial ethics, which of the following is NOT considered an economic agent?
- (TCO 3) Because Coca-Cola distributes its products in Israel, several Arab nations have banned the product. Which general area of social responsibility is most affected by this product ban?
- (TCO 2) List the five dimensions of the general environment and give an example of a force within each dimension that would affect a local car dealership.
- (TCO 3) Describe an ethical dilemma you have faced (it can be as simple as admitting you were undercharged by a cashier). Illustrate how you applied the ethical decision framework (Figure 4.2) in making your final judgment of what to do.
MGMT 303 Week 2 Homework Quiz
- List at least FIVE sources you will use to obtain information about the firm’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. Discuss what categories of the SWOT elements of information are readily available on the Internet. What categories of data are difficult or impossible to find on the Internet? (When using the Internet, be sure to provide specific websites or URLs.)
- Rate,from the best to the worst, each of the sources you indicated in #1 above as being sources you will use in your analysis in terms of its probable reliability. Discuss the steps and/or actions you can take to validate the reliability and accuracy of the information you obtain.
- As a manager, how confident would you be in basing strategic decisions on the information that you’ve obtained online for the SWOT? What other sources of information can you use to effectively complete the SWOT analysis?
MGMT 303 Week 4 Homework Quiz
- (TCO 7) Workers in a McDonald’s are trained to cook, clean, fill drinks, take orders, and fill orders. During a shift they work each job for one hour. This is an example of job
- (TCO 7) Which of the following is NOT an alternative to job specialization?
- (TCO 7) ____ departmentalization has the advantage of reducing the number of skills a manager must possess.
- (TCO 7) The two universal approaches to organization design that represent the foundation of what we know about organization design are
- (TCO 7) ____ are internal organizational factors that can influence the organization design selection.
- (TCO 7) Heinrich works for Siemens Corporation. He lives in New York City and reports to both the marketing president in Munich and the president in charge of Siemens North America. He works in a ____ design organization.
- (TCO 7) The United Food and Commercial Workers Union has been trying to organize labor at more than 90 Wal-Mart stores. The union is an example of
- (TCO 7) Desiree is reluctant to take a promotion because it involves moving. She knows little about the area she would be living in. According to the text, the most likely reason for such employee resistance to change is
- (TCO 7) Managers should make changes only when they are absolutely necessary, should announce them well in advance, and should implement the changes gradually. This is referred to as
- (TCO 7) The members of the various boards of a church annually hold a retreat at which they discuss actual or potential problems as well as various issues of concern to the members. This is an example of an organization development intervention technique known as
- (TCO 7) Describe the bases for departmentalization at a sit-down restaurant. Find examples of at least two types of departmentalization that would be used in a restaurant.
- (TCO 7) You are the internal relations manager for Elan, an Irish biotech firm, when it is acquired by Johnson and Johnson. How will you help the top management team overcome resistance to the new ownership?
MGMT 303 Week 5 Homework Quiz
- (TCO 8) The systematic collection and recording of information about jobs in the organization is known as
- (TCO 8) The most appropriate training technique for PepsiCo to teach its employees to make ethical decisions would be
- (TCO 8) One of the major disadvantages of ranking as an appraisal method is that
- (TCO 8) According to the text, performance is basically determined by
- (TCO 8) Ellen claims her job is so easy she goes to work to relax after a busy weekend. She says she’ll never retire. Using Herzberg’s theory of motivation
- (TCO 8) Palash notices that no matter how high or low his production, his boss does not give him any reward or punishment. Which of the following is true for Palash?
- (TCO 8) The ____ theory of motivation is based on the idea that employees compare their inputs and outcomes to some other person’s to determine if they are being fairly treated.
- (TCO 9) Isabelle likes abstract concepts. This trait illustrates the ____ dimension of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.
- (TCO 9) If you perceive that one method of completing a task is the most efficient, but your coworker perceives that her idea is better, the ____ components of your attitudes differ.
- (TCO 9) Dale wants to work for a company that offers stock options. He used to work for a German company that did not offer its employees stock options. Now Dale has an offer from BASF, a German-owned corporation, but he is not very interested. Dale is using
- (TCO 8) Some people get addicted to gambling after the first “rush” they feel from a win. Use expectancy theory to explain the errors in their thinking.
- (TCO 9) Fully explain the attribution process and how it is related to perception.
MGMT 303 Week 7 Homework Quiz
- (TCO 10) Pick a team that you are currently a member of, a prior team in which you were a member, or search the Internet for an example of a real-life team. Be sure to choose one that meets these two criteria: (1) it’s not part of a for-profit business and (2) you can argue it’s highly effective. State the name of your team list its web site and give a brief description of the team to include their mission.
- (TCO 10) Determine the reasons for the team’s effectiveness. (Hint: You might look for web sites sponsored by the group itself, review online news sources for current articles about it, or enter the group’s name in a search engine.) Consider team characteristics and activities, such as role structures, norms, cohesiveness, and conflict management.
- (TCO 10) What can a manager learn from the characteristics and activities of this particular team? How might the factors that contribute to this team’s success be adopted in a business setting?