The patient is a 68-year-old man who sustained a head injury after falling in the bathroom. He arrives in the emergency department (ED) cheerful, alert, and oriented to person. On physical examination, he has a large hematoma on his left forehead. He reports a headache in the left temporal area, which he rates as an 8/10. His wife was present during the incident. Admission vital signs are: blood pressure, 170/92 mm Hg; pulse, 92 beats/min; respirations, 14 breaths/min; and temperature, 98.7° F. The physician orders a one-time dose of acetaminophen 650 mg orally for the patient’s headache, which the nurse promptly administers. The patient reports a pain level of 5/10 at 1 hour after the intervention.
1. Why is it important to determine the circumstances of the fall for this patient?
2. Discuss the importance of obtaining baseline behavior and information from the wife.
3. The ED physician orders computed tomography (CT) of the brain for the patient. What is the purpose of this test, and what are the nursing responsibilities in preparing the patient for this procedure?
4. Because the patient is at risk for increased intracranial pressure, explain how the patient should be positioned and moved in bed.
5. The CT and other diagnostic results are negative and the patient is diagnosed with a minor head injury and contusion to the right extremity. He is discharged to home. Review the patient teaching instructions that should be given to the patient and his wife.
6. The wife appears unwilling to take her husband home and she states that she doesn’t understand the discharge instructions. What can the nurse do in this situation?
7. Use the focus charting method (also known as the DAR method—data, action, response) to document the administration of acetaminophen, including appropriate follow-up.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more