Part 1: Post a Response
By the early 1950s, the US was a world super-power militarily and economically. The Great Depression was no more. But, two major rival powers were developing, rivals ideologically and militarily: The Cold War between the US and its allies versus the Soviet Union and its allies/clients would be the dominant international issue for the next four decades. Domestically, in the 1950s and the 1960s, the US would begin grappling head-on with major Civil Rights and economic issues, as well as a divisive conflict in Vietnam—and widespread demonstrations and some high profile assassinations.
Choose and discuss (in a full paragraph or two) one of the following two topics related to the period from the late 1940s and through the 1960s.
Part 2: Respond to a Peer: Lisa
“Often times we as people are given choices and decisions to make, with these decisions we are asked to choose a side. Do you like chocolate or vanilla? Which brand of soda you prefer-Pepsi or sprite ( which are apparent company brands) nevertheless, you can only choose one. For all of the sides we are supposed to take in today’s world, it is nothing compared to the choices of the COLD WAR, a 40 year long ideological conflict in the mid-late 20th century, was defined by the competition between Capitalism and Communism, to become the dominant Global doctrine”.
Lisa Lipscomb (personal thought)
By the 1950’s America was a WORLD SUPER POWER, military and economically. The Great Depression was no more. But 2 major powers were developing. Rivals ideologically and militarily. Cold War was between United States and its allies Versus the Soviet Union, and its allies/clients would dominate international issue for the next 4 decades.
* Choose and discuss one of the following topics related to the period from 1940’s and through the 1960’s.*
* Discuss America’s Cold War Policy, or strategy, aimed at dealing with communism and the Soviet threat, and an example of a cold war conflict or crisis.
Example 1) I am looking at a strategy of ” Containment”, which was to prevent the spread of communism after the end of world war ll. This meant that the United States declared that it would not allow communism to advance any further than it already had.As the policy of containment went into effect, it was clear the United States was not only in an ideological war with communism and the Soviet Union, but was also willing to back it up with military might and economic support.
Example 2) The crisis that was also an issue for the United States was the Korea and Cuban missile crisis, the Korean War which was instigated by North Korea, when it invaded its democratic neighbors. The United States then sent troops to aid South Korea, viewing the war as an ideological fight against communism.
* Identify one or two cold war strategies of the United States*
1) The Unites States cold war strategy in addition to the stick of military containment as expounded in the National Security Act of 1947, Americans offered a carrot to the contested states of Europe who might choose one side over the other. In 1947 Truman appealed to congress to aid nations that might be susceptible to communist infiltration. Truman developed the idea with the TRUMAN DOCTRINE. Which offered to support Greece, and Turkey with money and arms if they would forgo Russian assistance.
* Describe a specific example of a conflict or crisis that was part of this cold war strategy.
1A) The Korean War : The Korean War was fought between South Korea and communist North Korea. It was the first major conflict of the cold war, as the Soviet Union supported North Korea and the United States supported South Korea.
* Compare and Contrast this to international situation today.*
Here are five(5) important lessons from the Cold War, lessons that should be guiding contemporary U.S. foreign policy.
*SPOILER ALERT: #45 (President Trump) has been ignoring or violating every one of them*
Yesterday’s Cold War Shows How to Beat China Today.
1) Make sure you have the right allies
2) Investing in science, technology, and education pays off.
3) Greater openness, transparency, accountability gave the United States an important advantage
4) Playing rope – a dope (i.e., letting the Soviet Union squander resources in strategically marginal areas) was a smart strategy.
5) Nice countries finish first.
” THE ONLY THING WE HAVE TO FEAR, IS FEAR ITSELF”
Franklin D. Roosevelt.
FDR was telling the American people that our fear was making things worse. “Nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.”
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more