Penn Foster Exam
007500RR – THE MIDDLE AGES AND THE RENAISSANCE
1. Which instrument’s parts were never notated in the Middle Ages?
2. Native American chant incorporates meaningless sung syllables called _______, which serve as a form of melodic instrument.
B. duple meters
C. drone basses
3. Whereas today we have only two modes (major and minor), medieval composers had _______ additional modes.
4. An example of a percussion instrument is the
5. Which song exemplifies four-voice Renaissance polyphony, with each voice playing an equally important role?
A. “My Lord Help Me to Pray”
B. “Since Robin Hood”
C. “Sing Joyfully”
D. “The Cricket”
6. What invention during the Renaissance period enabled people to purchase music for their own personal use?
A. Electronic recording
B. Faster delivery service
C. Instruments for trained transcription workers
D. Printing press
7. Rhyme singing is an African American _______, which means that it combines different forms of belief and practice.
8. Smooth, stepwise movement within a melodic phrase, subphrase, or statement is known as
9. Which one of the following was one of the most popular instruments in Medieval and Renaissance times and occasionally involved the use of plectrum to play it?
D. Organ portative
10. _______ music is closely associated with the Rastafarian religion.
11. If you’re studying the science of sound, you’re studying which of the following?
12. Roy will play a melody in triple meter and place the pulse of the meter on the first beat. Chuck will play the triple meter melody and place the pulse of the meter on the third beat. Who is playing the melody with the correct pulse?
A. Neither is playing the melody correctly.
C. Both are playing the melody correctly.
13. A/An _______ is the interval between two pitches of the same name.
B. whole step
14. Renaissance composers used which of the following to create polyphonic textures?
B. Ternary forms
15. _______ is the predominant form of music in Native North American Indian culture.
B. Secular song
16. Von Bingen’s Play of Virtues is set to which of the following types of music?
A. Liturgical plainchant
17. A measured performance that adheres consistently to the duple meter would be read as
18. The basic framework for ordering music through time is the
19. until about the _______ century, music was transmitted orally, not in written form.
20. Who of the following wrote a morality play that could be likened to Star Wars and Lord of the Rings?
A. William Byrd
B. Guillaume de Machaut
C. Hildegard von Bingen
D. Thomas Weelkes
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more