Assignment #4: Observation of Children at Play
NAEYC 1, 3
Description: Early Childhood professionals must be good observers. Observation is the most frequently used and most rewarding method of assessing children’s growth, development, and learning. You will objectively record what you observe during a 15 minute observation of a preschool child.
Directions: You will be conducting a narrative observation of an individual child in a situation that is not teacher directed. Children should be engaged in free play inside the classroom; not in the playground. (Use initials or a fictitious first name to protect child’s confidentiality) This is a detailed “running record” account of behavior recorded in a sequential manner as it happens. The observer sits or stands apart from the child, writing down all behaviors that occur(s) within a 15 minute period. Keep sentences short and abbreviate words to keep up with the action.
After you have recorded your narrative, read it again to make sure you have written an objective record of events, and spelled out any abbreviated words and sentences.
Write down your analysis; make sure to include the following:
1. What did you see that represented emotional development? (Feelings, engagement, sense of pride.) (S1a)
2. What did you see that represented social development? (association with others.) (S1a)
3. What did you see that represented physical development? (balance, movement, gross and fine motor.) (S1a)
4. What did you see that represented cognitive development? (exploration, discovery, problem solving, curiosity.)
5. What are the benefits of this type of observation? (S3a)
6. How could you use this information to plan to meet the individual needs of this particular child? (S1a, S3c)
7. How you would share the information gathered with the family and other professionals? (S3d)
8. How you will incorporate the use of child observations as you develop professionally? (S3b, S3d)
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more